Bedford Park Real Estate
If you are interested in finding out what a particular property sold for, please call or email us. We are happy to provide you with recent sales figures.
Geared toward families with young children, this neighbourhood has an excellent selection of public, private and separate schools, many parkettes and playgrounds, a community centre, a library, and convenient access to the TTC.
Bedford Park is bisected by Yonge Street, lying north of Lawrence Avenue and east of Avenue Road. The northern boundary is Brooke Avenue on the West side of Yonge, and Snowdon Avenue to the east of Yonge. The eastern boundary is Roslin Avenue. There is also a school at Yonge and Lawrence called Bedford Park Public School.
Bedford Park emerged as a farming hamlet north of Toronto. The hamlet was a popular stopover for farmers making their way to market in the city. The neighbourhood was likely named after the Bedford Park Hotel, which opened in 1873 at the southwest corner of Yonge Street and Fairlawn Avenue, just north of Lawrence Avenue.
In 1890 Bedford Park was amalgamated with the hamlets of Davisville and Eglinton to the south, and incorporated as the City of North Toronto. In the same year, the Metropolitan Street Railway of Toronto began service to the area, encouraging residential development.
The original homes in the area were constructed between 1890 and 1940. Bedford Park was conceived as a middle class housing development on the northern boundary of the city, with mid-sized detached and semi-detached homes. The relocation of the Rosedale Golf Club in 1909 to the section of the Don Valley northeast of Bedford Park brought about development of the (more moneyed) bordering neighbourhoods of Lawrence Park and Teddington Park.
Bedford Park's quiet streets, mature trees, good schools and parks, and proximity to Highway 401 and Lawrence subway station attract young professionals and their families to the neighbourhood. Many of the original homes still stand, with a number having undergone extensive renovations. A portion of the original homes in the neighbourhood have been torn down and replaced with larger, more modern homes.